Little Ole Me (and You)

Chris Snider has declared today to be D-Blog Check Day which encourages everyone who reads D-blogs to comment and let the blogger know who is reading. This is awesome because for every person who comments on a blog, there are probably 50 or 100 who do not. Sometimes it can be a little sad because obviously we want to get to know you too!

We spend a lot of time talking about diabetes in the DOC, but that’s not all that we are as people. Even though that’s our common link in this community, we are more than diabetes. I thought it would be fun to share a few fun facts about myself that are non-diabetes related. In the comments, I would love for you to share a fun fact about yourself, just so we can all get to know each other a little better.

1. I was born and raised just outside Portland, Oregon.
  2. I’m a night owl.
  3. I’m a popcorn addict.
  4. I collect shot glasses. I have more than 60!
  5. I used to live in NYC. If you’re going to visit, here are 3 things I recommend to do, eat and see:
  • visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (bring comfy walking shoes!) and go to the rooftop garden for a great view of Central Park and midtown Manhattan
  • eat at Matilda, my favorite East Village restaurant (I’ve brought a number of DOC bloggers there, so you’re in good company!)
  • visit the High Line park for a wonderful view of Manhattan and the Hudson River (start at the 23rd St. entrance and walk south, and exit at 14th st, where you can walk to dinner in the West Village, one of the most popular neighborhoods in the entire city

highline-collage-3

So, tell me a little bit about yourself.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Diabetes Online Community. Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Little Ole Me (and You)

1. Brea says:

It’s on my bucket list to visit NYC sometime! Thanks for sharing :)

2. Mike Hoskins says:

Thanks for sharing this, Allison. So, I’m trying to eat better and more healthy. And what you’ve written on this (here, and elsewhere) has inspired me and motivated me over time to do better and explore options like low(er) carbs. Obviously, I’m a work in progress and a total slacker on this, but it continues… Anyhow. Just in the grocery store on Sunday, saw something called Coconut Water. It was ONLY 79 cents, so I bought a little can worth something like 13g of carbs. I have no clue what this is, but thought it sounded healthy and worth trying. So there. That’s my comment. A little more than a ramble than anything, but to the point: Thanks for sharing what you do, diabetes and beyond, and for inspiring me and so many others.

• Thanks, friend! I’m not a huge fan of coconut water, but Erik likes it. He uses it after his runs because coconut water is naturally full of electrolytes but is low carb and has none of the artificial chemicals that Gatorade has. I wish I liked, because it’s so good for you!

3. Christopher says:

Fun fact: I will sing the hell out of an Ace of Base song, but only from the comfort of my car. Actually, that’s the case for most songs I hear on the 90’s station. One of the few benefits of my ridiculous commute. (How’s that?)

4. 1.) I was born and raised in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
    2.) I bite my nails.
    3.) My domain is down, so anybody wanting to read my blog needs to visit dorkabetic.blogspot.com right now.
    4.) I once danced onstage at a drag show and won a t-shirt, a free drink, and a $1 tip.

5. Laddie says:

I love popcorn too but have a hard time yelling “stop!” once I take the first bite.

I was born in South Carolina and have lived in Minneapolis for 37 years.

#dblogcheck

6. Meg says:

You know a bit about me already… but i thought i would comment, since i read you blog today! Hope you have a great day! (New popcorn called “Boom Chicka Pop”…. it is OUTSTANDING!)

7. I love reading your blog! A fun fact… hmm… I’m going to school to be a teacher. :)

8. laosita says:

I’m liking the goal of this, relatively new, blog of yours. I like your original blog, so you’ve got some high expectations to meet ;)

And…monkeys scare me.

9. Karen says:

My legs were once filmed in front of a green screen and then photoshopped (or what ever you call it on film) onto the Statue of Liberty as an “after” example in a commercial for Westchester Vein Center. No lie!

10. a1conceive says:

I’m going to NYC in a couple of weeks, I’ll have to check out Matildas! Thanks!

11. Scott E says:

I’ve never been to the High Line Park. I’m somewhat of a transit advocate, so part of me would’ve liked to see it brought back as a rail line. But that would never happen. And speaking of transit and interesting facts, I’ve climbed aboard PATH trains in the middle of the tunnel from track level. The look on the passengers’ faces is priceless — the train stops, the conductor opens the door, and a group of dirty, dusty people climb aboard, then it goes on its way.

So far, I’ve been able to avoid NYC subway track training… that’s where they have you stand on the tracks and “clear up” in one of the little niches on the side when a train comes. Hopefully I can continue to avoid that one.

(Oh, and if any other DOC’ers are visiting the NYC, you need to get the word out! There are plenty of us in the area who’d love to meet you!)

• I think the original purpose for the High Line doesn’t exist anymore, so it’s better that they are using it for something else. It’s nice to have park land too in NYC!

• Scott E says:

It was originally built for freight (which is why it passes through some buildings for loading/unloading). It would be nice to have a far west-side passenger line to serve areas like Chelsea Piers, but an elevated track wouldn’t do. Maybe someday the 7-extension will get extended again….(I won’t hold my breath on that one)

12. Kerri. says:

Matilda is one of my favorite books. Does that count? :)

13. Stacey D. says:

I’m trying to think of something you may not know about me already …. I collect precious moments. I have a whole curio full! :)

14. Colleen says:

I attended 8 different schools for K-12. The life of an Army Brat…

15. FlyingFurballs says:

1. I was born in Toronto and have always lived within a 2 hour commute of Toronto.
    2. I am a recovering night owl.
    3. I am hopelessly addicted to sitting on the deck with a glass or two of wine, listening to music
    4. We have 2 dogs, one of which is the best guide dog (for my husband) and 3 cats
    5. Little known fact/irony: I hate vacuuming. How I came to have a houseful of furry friends is just too funny.

16. 1Bolus@ATime says:

1. IMHO, Stephen King’s Dark Tower series are the best fiction books ever written. I’ve reread them many times and love how every single one of his other books make reference to the Dark Tower.
    2. My hubs and I recently relocated from Kansas City, Kansas (where we were both raised) to Arizona. We went from living in the city to living in a national forest & we absolutely LOVE it!:)
    3. We refer to our dogs collectively as The Dogg Pound. We have a German Shepherd & a Jindo/Chow Mix.
    4. I love music as long as it doesn’t twang. :) I’m guilty of driving in the car by myself with the windows down and the music blaring at top volume singing right along.
    5. The biggest thing on my Bucket List is to go Skydiving! :)

17. Mrs. Harer says:

Your blog is like the 4th or 5th time I’ve seen High Line Park mentioned, I’m thinking when the hubby and I visit NY the park needs to be added to our must see list.

18. 1. I love Cheeto Puffs. Too much.
    2. Lately I’ve been contemplating becoming a librarian after I’m done becoming a teacher.
    3. I don’t like to drink water out of glass glasses. It creeps me out and smells funny.
    4. I collect books.
    5. Writing is something I love doing, but on the flip side, have a hard time making myself START doing.

19. Ilana Lucas says:

It’s too bad I left NYC before really joining the DOC (got my MFA at Columbia); there seems to be a great community there. Hmm, a “fun fact” about me…here’s an NYC-centric one: I worked as an archivist in the apartment of a wonderful Tony-winning actress for a little over a year, and probably found out enough musical theatre/actor gossip for a lifetime. She lived next to Jerry Seinfeld, and I almost accidentally headbutted him once coming out of the elevator.

20. I hadn’t found the new blog yet, until today.

21. Tim Brand says:

Love it! Thanks for sharing some fun facts too.

22. Jane says:

Hi. I ran the Medoc Marathon wearing a long blond wig and a sailor outfit. It was a costumed marathon, and I tried my best to be Sailor Moon (Japanese cartoon heroine). I also missed the original cut-off time because I was a little bit inebriated – there were 23 wines on offer along the marathon course and once I got to the really good estates, I thought it would be a waste to spit out the wines so I drank them. Luckily, the weather was hotter than expected (if I remember correctly, from around 22 C to around 26-27 C), and a lot of Europeans were struggling, so the organizers extended the time limit by a few more minutes, and I managed to slide in. So, I got my gong!

I can’t wait to run the NY Marathon (if only I can get in).

23. kelly2k says:

Love popcorn, love The MMoA & the High Line & Matilda is on my list!

24. Kim says:

I have lived in this house for 3.5 years, and I’ve never mowed the lawn. I can trim the daylights out of a shrub or tree, I can plant flowers and herb gardens… but something about operating a lawn mower intimidates me! (Thank goodness for Aaron!)

25. I’ve never been to NYC! But would love to visit some day. I hate that I get behind on blog reading so frequently and I eat peanutbutter on my S’mores.

Part of why I try to blog about more than just diabetes is for the purpose of letting people know that my life is more than my busted pancreas. I hope someone has said, “she seems like a normal girl” when reading my posts.

26. I wasn’t able to comment on your blog on comment day — the hardware I was using didn’t work with your blog, and I was too lazy to find something that would.

27. Check!

And I have been known to drink Diet Coke endlessly. :-)

28. Kelley says:

I love how many comments this post has! I was overseas during the #dblogcheck but better late than never ;-)
    1. I love popcorn and used to collect shot glasses as well!
    2. I’m addicted to Diet Coke.
    3. Born and raised in Richmond, VA, moved to Northern VA after college but just moved back to Richmond a year ago
    4. Never been to NYC but hoping to go in December for my diabetes anniversary-20 years!